Sports

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Henin Climbs Tennis Ranks Again Knocks Off Wozniacki At Sony Ericsson


Key Biscayne, FL, United States (AHN) - After seven-time Grand Slam singles champion, Justine Henin, lost to Gisela Dulko in the second round at Indian Wells, the Belgian knew after her 19-month hiatus, it was time to bounce back as a winner.

Henin did, and turned it up Wednesday by defeating WTA's No. 2-ranked player, Caroline Wozniacki, 6-7 (5), 6-3, 6-4 at the Sony Ericsson.

She will face Kim Cijsters in the semifinals Friday.

"I didn't play for two years, so it's good to be on the court a little bit longer," Henin told ESPN.com. "Still, physically I was feeling, I wouldn't say fresh at the end, but I could play my best tennis on my last service game. That was something I was happy about. It means at the end even physically I was a bit tired I could make the difference."

The quarterfinal victory was just what the 27-year-old needed after leaving the sport because of family issues.

She kept Wozniacki on her heels, wearing her down slowly. Then a sweet cross-court forehand, sealed the win.

Spectators were wowed, and Henin mirrored her joy, as she slowly started her climb back to her first love.

"I was No. 1 when I retired, and now I have to build again,” she said. “I know where I want to go, but it's going to take a little bit of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger